Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I ♥ Soccer!

I have many amazing hobbies, but my favorite hobby is soccer.   I love soccer because I love to kick balls, and I like to run.  (You run a lot in soccer). 

 The main idea of the game is to get the soccer ball in the goal.   You are not allowed to use your hands. You also can't push, kick, or punch, but you are allowed to use your shoulder to block the ball.  

 I have a soccer ball in a net tied to a string, so when you kick it, it comes right back to you instead of rolling off.  




Here is a picture of a soccer ball.  The soccer ball is made for kicking and is also very bouncy.



Here is a diagram of a soccer field.
I play right defense.  The right defense is located to the right of the penalty area.  The red dots are defense and the purple dots are offense.  Here are the positions:

G= Goalie-the player who blocks the other team from scoring. 
D=Defense-the player who usually stays back and guards the ball from getting in the goal
M=Midfield-the player who passes the the forward, so they can score.
F=Forward-the player who shoots in to the goal.



               Here is a picture of a player kicking the ball.  Why do you think he is kicking the ball?


My team's name was Super Strikers for 5 years in a row!  My friends and I love the name, and hope the exciting tradition continues.  

History of the Soccer Ball

How did soccer balls come about?  Well, a long time ago, people used to wrap animal bladders in leather.  Boy, were those wrecks!  Sometimes, when you kicked it, it would end up in a funny shape, or
bounce a weird way!  Even on rainy days the ball would soak up, and become way too heavy kick.  It took a long time to finally invent a soccer ball that was water proof and never ended up in funny 
shapes.

Do you play soccer?
Do you know a fact about soccer?

14 comments:

  1. What a great post! I have only played soccer once or twice for fun so I learnt a lot from reading this. Where I grew up in Australia, soccer wasn't a hugely popular sport to play. Most boys in my town played AFL (Australian Rules Football) which is very different.

    I hope you have a good season this year and I hope the tradition of 'Super Strikers' continues again! Have fun.

    Miss Jessica Dubois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brothers,

    What a terrific and informative post about soccer. I have never played soccer, but it sure is popular!

    I especially enjoyed your information about the history of the soccer ball. I remember reading Little House in the Big Woods by Wilder and in that book they used an animal bladder for a ball!

    Do either of you follow any professional teams?

    Your proud teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very thorough post on soccer. My school district doesn't have a soccer program yet, but hopefully soon we will.

    Mr. C
    NoelTigers.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ryan
    You certainly gave a lot of interesting information about soccer.
    My daughter used to play when she was younger, but now her love is golf.

    Does soccer get called football in America at all?
    We always used to call it soccer, but now we are meant to call it football, but then it gets confusing about whether people mean rugby football or soccer football!

    I think Super Strikers is a great team name.

    from Mrs Mckenzie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ryan,

    I do not play soccer, but one day I will sign up. I now one fact about soccer. The World Cup is the bigest soccer tournament in the hole wide world.I like your diagram because it shows the hole soccer field.I have some questions for you. Were you a professional soccer player, and why do you like soccer so much?



    From,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Brothers,

    I really enjoyed this post because I love soccer! It is my favorite sport to play and one of my favorites to watch. When I was in elementary and middle school I usually played midfield but in high school I moved to right forward. I loved to dribble down into the corner and then cross the ball into the striker.

    You did a great job of explaining the positions on the field. I also really liked learning about the history of the ball. it must have been challenging playing with those old balls!

    I'm pretty sure the first official rules for soccer ("football") were started in England, but different versions of the game have been played for hundreds of years. It is also the most popular sport in the world.

    Did you watch much of the World Cup this summer? If you did, which team were you cheering for?

    Thanks for a great post!

    Your blogging buddy,
    Mr. Salsich

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Post! I love reading about soccer because my kids used to play. I miss cheering for them on the sidelines.

    I teach fourth grade and my students are now reading about a the Ingalls family who used to use an animal bladder as a ball. The kids went wild when they read that.

    Our school is 1/4 of a mile from the stadium where the New England Revolution team plays!

    You should try playing soccer - I think you'd like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Brothers,
    What a thorough post about soccer. I really learned a lot about soccer from reading your post. If you don't mind, I would like to show this to my 3rd grade class. We are learning how to write to explain right now and your post is a wonderful example of this!
    Keep up the wonderful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog. Great information for us non-soccer players. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Jessica Dubios,

    Thank you for your comment. Could you please tell a little more about AFL? Why don't you play soccer much anymore?

    @Mrs. Yollis,

    I have read the book Little House in the Big Woods. I loved the part when the book mentioned the soccer ball. I follow a soccer team called Galaxy. Do you follow a team? What is your favorite sport? Why?

    @WM Chamberlain,

    What is a soccer program? At our school we do not have a soccer program, but sometimes students form a little game soccer. Do you play soccer?

    @Mrs. McKenzie,

    Thank you for your thoughtful comment. We do not call soccer football in America. It kind of makes sense to call it soccer football because you use your foot to play the sport. Why did your daughter switch to golf?

    From,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Ryan and Justin,

    I have played soccer too. You have played against me a couple of times, I even sub'd on your team once! It was very fun playing on your team because you passed the ball to me andwhen I didn't do something right you weren't mean to me. I know that soccer started in England in the 1800's. In England soccer is called football. Who is your favorite soccer player?

    From Grayson

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Brothers--

    I know someone who would really enjoy reading your blog on soccer. He was born in Hungary and played it there when he was your age. Maybe I can send it to him. ~Dodo

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Dodo,

    Thank you for your comment. I know who you are talking about-Grandpa. Have you and Grandpa ever been to a soccer game? Could you ask him to comment on this blog?

    From,
    The Brothers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Brothers!
    I too played soccer---for 10 years!! I was never really good because I was sometimes afraid of the ball. One time, when I was 14 and playing on my high school team, I ducked when a girl kicked the ball to me. Would you believe that the ball bounced off my forehead and it was a perfect 'header'?! My coach was so proud! I never told him that I was trying to duck!

    I would love to see you play soccer someday. Could you send me your schedule next year?

    Love,
    Auttie

    ReplyDelete