Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mr. New York Teaches Fractions!


Today Mr. New York learned about fractions, so now he wants to teach them to you.
First of all, you should know what a fraction is.  He would like to tell you:



 A fraction is a number that names part of a whole or part of a group





The top number is the numerator. It tells how many are shaded. 
The bottom number is the denominator. It tells how many are in the set or the whole.



Mr. New York would like to show you an example of a fraction he made. There are 12 equal pieces. 




He shaded four of the twelve parts, so he has colored four-twelfths.  (4/12)

We can simplify this fraction. To simplify means...






You can simplify to four-twefths into one-third.

4    ÷ 4 is        1
                                                                 
          
12    ÷ 4 is        3




               
          
                





Here is an example of one whole.  It is one whole
because four-fourths of the parts are shaded. (All of them are
shaded.)



Oh my, looks like Mr. NY drew something for us.  But, sorry Mr. New York,
 those are not equal parts.  





You tried again Mr. NY?  Good Job.  Those are two equals sides, and... you drew
yourself!  How nice! Half of you is shaded! (1/2)



We learned many things today, didn't we, Mr. New York?

We learned that fractions have equal parts  and about wholes and simplifying.



Oh yeah, Mr. New York wants to know what he should do for
his next post.

He wants you to choose from:

1. Mr. NY makes a poem!

2. Mr. NY's favorites!

3. Mr. New York teaches fraction word problems!

4. Mr. NY reads Lost and Found!


Please leave a comment telling with your vote for and why you picked that choice.


What did you learn about fractions?
Did you ever spot a fraction in your house?

27 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. New York,

    What a great post you have posted about fractions!
    We learned many things, including that you need equal
    parts to make a fraction. We vote for Mr. NY’s favorites
    because we would like to get to know you better.

    Who taught you fractions?

    From,
    The Brothers

    ReplyDelete
  2. @The Brothers,

    Thank you for your comment and your vote. You were the first one to vote! Who taught me fractions? Why of course, my mother taught me when I was a third grade piggy bank. Her name is Mrs. La because on her it says “I love LA”,so her parents named her Mrs.LA.
    Which post do you think is going to win?

    From,
    Mr.NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Brothers,


    I like the Lost and Found idea or the Mr. NY makes a poem. So I chose Mr. NY makes a poem because it sounds fun to hear and I wonder what poem he is going to read. What would you vote for, Brothers and why?

    If
    Mr. NY makes a poem gets picked what poem would you pick?

    From,
    Amitai

    ReplyDelete
  4. @The Brothers

    What an excellent explanation of fractions with words and illustrations! Maybe The Brothers (or one of them) will become a math teacher.

    I have a question on a related topic. I don't remember how "Mr. NY" came into existence. Who thought of "him" and why was he created?

    I have to go now and practice simplifying fractions. Should I eat all my lunch, or half, or 1/3 or . . . ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Brother's Blog, what perfect timing for finding your blog! I start teaching fractions next week and will definitely have to share your work with my students! I love how you used pictures and drawings to illustrate what you are learning. Thank you for how you're going to help teach my students :) Keep up the wonderful learning!

    Miss K Tripp of South Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regarding fractions, and the example of the PIGGY BANK.....the two halves are not really equal, they are mirror images. Therefore not a good example for defining fractions.

    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Grandpa,

    The piggy bank is my mascot. Yes, they are also examples of mirror images.

    From,
    The Brothers

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Amitai,

    Mr. NY will read Poison Tester, by Shel Silverstein, if Mr NY reads a poem gets picked. What do you think is going to win?

    From,
    The Brothers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mr. NY,

    Your whole fraction lesson was outstanding! The part I liked the most was the one you drew of yourself! It wasn't half bad... for a piggy bank! Within a fraction of a second, I noticed that the picture you drew had symmetry! Nicely done!

    I would love to see you teach about fractions and word problems. No matter what you choose, I'll be interested!

    Your biggest fan,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Mr. NY!

    I am visiting your blog from my EDM310 class at the University of South Alabama.

    You did a spectacular job teaching about fractions!

    I am a future teacher in English/Language Arts. So, my vote for your next blog post would be "Mr. NY Reads a Poem." I am a huge Shel Silverstein fan.

    I will stay tuned and thanks for sharing.

    Amanda Lloyd
    http://lloydamandaedm310.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Mr. New York,

    Well, I must say that it has been a long time since someone has taught me anything about fractions! Thank-you for the refreshment! I really do like your precise and thorough instructions.

    Thanks,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Mr. New York,

    You are such a talented piggy bank, and it makes sense that you would know fractions since you deal with money a lot. Fractions were always my favorite part of math when I was in grade school. I think writing a poem would be a great idea.

    Best Wishes,
    Bailey
    EDM310 Student
    University of South Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Brothers and Mr. New York,
    First, this is an absolutely marvelous explanation of fractions! I especially liked how you illustrated your method of reduction. I've never thought of it that way before.
    I happened to spot a fraction in my house just this morning. I have three dogs and I had to put them all outside. But, I could only get 2/3 of them to go out. 1/3 of them hid under the couch and had to be lured out with a dog biscuit.
    I hope Mr. New York will teach teach us about fraction word problems in his next post.

    Thanks for the great lesson,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Mr. New York,

    You did such a great job teaching your audience about fractions! I think the images you chose went well with the post and helped me understand what you were explaining. I also enjoyed seeing the examples you drew. I think fractions are so much fun!

    All of your ideas for your next post sound so great. My vote is for Mr. New York makes a poem. I chose that topic because I really enjoy reading poetry.

    I'm looking forward to your next post!

    Sincerely,
    Alexa Howie
    EDM310 Student
    University of South Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, Mr. NY!

    My name is Brandin Brosh and I attend the University of South Alabama. I am a student in EDM 310.

    You did such a great job teaching about fractions. I don't think I could have explained it more perfectly!

    I am currently in school to become a future educator. I hope that I can explain things as well as your have on your own blog when I become a teacher!

    I am voting for Mr. New York Reads a Poem! Good luck with everything! You're doing a great job!

    If you would like to visit my blog and leave some comments you can do so here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey there Mr. New York. I am visiting your blog all the way from Mobile, Alabama. I am a college student at the University of South Alabama. I thought you did an excellent job at teaching about fractions. I hope the next post you do will be a poem. I LOVE poetry! It is a great way to show your creativity and express your feelings! Keep up the good work!

    Sincerely,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good Job Mr. New York!

    You did an excellent job on teaching fractions and your graphics were excellent. Have you ever thought about being a math teacher one day?

    Thanks again,
    Michael Oakwood
    EDM310
    University of South Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Brothers,

    I will use your discussion of fractions as an example for my college students when they do their "Teach Someone Something Project" next semester. Your blog post is an excellent example of how to get someone interested in learning and how to explain a rather difficult concept to someone encountering fractions for the first time. I also liked the fact that you encouraged your "students" to look for fractions in their homes. That will help make the learning real.

    Well done.

    I will send you a link to my assignments for next semester when I complete them (about June 1) so that you can see your work being used at the college level in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama.

    To answer your question: I also vote for a poem. That would be fun I think!

    Thank you again for providing me with an excellent example for my college students!

    Dr. John Strange
    University of South Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Ryan,

    My name is Jessica Brown and I am a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. Your latest blog post was great! I loved that you and Mr. NY worked together to show others about fractions. I am currently taking a class, Mathematics for Elementary Educators, at my college where we are learning how to teach our future students about fractions. Your presentation was spectacular! I really liked how you showed the difference in the numerator and denominator as well as explaining how they are part of a whole.

    This is not an easy concept for a lot of people. You and Mr. NY also did a great job of showing the importance of equal parts. Mr. NY was very creative to use himself and it was nice of you to remind him to make his parts equal. I would really like to vote for Mr. NY’s Favorites for your next blog post, but I think I will use my vote for Mr. New York Teaches Fraction Word Problems. You guys did such an awesome job teaching fractions, I would love to see your examples in word problems!

    If you have any suggestions or tips that helped you to learn more about fractions I would love to hear about them. You can visit my blog anytime with your feedback. Thank you again for such a great post on fractions! This will help me in my own class at the University as well as one day when I become a teacher.

    Sincerely,
    Jessica Brown
    EDM310 Student
    University of South Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Brothers and Mr. New York,

    I am a student at the University of South Alabama from Mobile, Alabama. Great job on teaching how to do fractions,it was definitely informative enough and helpful in learning how to do fractions. I love Mr. New York, I think that's awesome that you have a mascot for your blog post. That's a great idea to keep people interested in what you are commenting about on your blog post. I vote for Mr. New York's favorites, I would like to know what his favorite things are. Thanks for the post!

    Thanks,
    Ashley Welch

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well hello there and Happy Easter to you. I vote for a poem because I love poetry and I write poetry. You did an awesome job and I agree with Dr. Strange. He should use your work as an example because its great work.... Keep up the good work...
    Lara Bishop
    EDM 310 Dr. Strange
    University of South Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Brothers-

    My name is Christina and I am in Mr. Strange's EDM310 class at the University of South Alabama in Mobile.

    I enjoyed reading about Mr. New York. He is an excellent teacher. The examples he gave for fractions are very easy to understand. I can tell he put a lot of work into his lesson plan!

    In regard to Mr. New Yorks next post, I would like to know all about his favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Dr. Strange,

    How nice of you to leave a comment on our blog! If feels weird and great at the same time that you are showing collage students my work! I’m interested in “Teach Someone Something Project” already! I will be looking forward to it! I also think it is a great idea for my blog mascot to teach. It makes it fun! Mr. New York will be reading Poison Tester by Shel Silverstein. What do you do in “Teach Someone Something Project”? (I get that you mean to teach someone something.)

    From,
    The Brothers

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Chistan Henson,

    You are one of the only readers to vote for Mr. NY’s favorites. Mr. New York is very proud of his effort teaching, and can not wait to do his next post. What made you vote for Mr.NY’s favorites?

    From,
    The Brothers

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Lara Bishop,

    Happy Easter to you, too. If poetry wins, Mr. NY is going to readPoison Tester by Shel Silverstein. If you had a blog, and people were voting for your next post, what would the choices be?

    From,
    The Brothers

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Ashely Welch,

    Thank you for your comment. Thank you also for the compliments. Why did you vote for his favorites?

    From,
    The Brothers

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Mr. New York!
    WOW! Great to see you!! I have not seen you since we meet in the souvenir store in Times Square in New York City!!! I am the Best Brothers' aunt---remember me?? It is so wonderful to see all you are doing now! I am impressed you can teach so well; plus, it is fun to read abut your tree climbing and other adventures!

    I have missed you!
    Much love,
    Darcy (Auttie to the Brothers!)

    ReplyDelete